ISO 9001 is by far the most popular of the ISO standards and the most frequently requested by customers, it is also a strong basis for the needs of other standards under the new format of ISO standards updates. ISO 9001 focuses on quality through the development of an effective Quality Management System (hereto referred to as QM) that is very much focused on good internal and customer communication, and that has good recordable processes that can deliver a high-quality product or service. This applies to any size of business in any industry and to all areas of the business from the development of a product (or service) to final delivery. Listed below are some of the benefits of this standard:
- Internationally recognised standard - as the most popular Quality Management standard in the world, this automatically makes it easier to open your business to overseas markets. Your overseas customer will be assured of the quality of the business and its products or service
- Improve your business through improved working practices - by looking at all aspects of the business through having a QM in place the strengths and weaknesses of the company will be highlighted. The strengths can be built upon and the weaknesses can then be looked at and processes set up to combat these which should inevitably lead to savings in time and energy. After all, time is money!
- Demonstrate that you listen to your customers - Employees are encouraged to focus on the customer's needs and satisfaction with the product or service, through good communication, acting upon feedback and having the processes in place to deal with any complaints.
- Better documentation - With processes being documented then any problems can be seen and dealt with and to ensure that all work is recorded from start to finish.
- Strong leadership - as it is Senior Management's responsibility to create the QM, establish processes and objectives, communicate with staff and manage annual reviews, then this will ensure close involvement and commitment from Management.
- Involving and motivating employees - by encouraging feedback it shows employees that their opinion is of value and can lead to improved work practices. Teamwork will be encouraged
- Continuous improvement - by constantly looking at ways to improve a product or service then this enables the business to keep up with its competitors and aim to be ahead!