AS 9100 Quality Management Systems – Requirements for Aviation, Space and Defence Organisations
The AS 9100 standard is a widely adopted quality management system, based on the ISO 9000 standard but designed to be used in the aviation, space, and defence industries and throughout the supply chain.
It is intended for use by organisations that design and produce aviation, space, and defence products or that provide post-delivery support including maintenance, materials, or spare parts, for their own products.
AS9100 is an important standard within the aerospace industry as most manufacturers and suppliers require compliance and/or registration to AS9100 as a condition of working with them.
Benefits of AS 9100
- Quality management is now integrated with the business strategies of your company
- Customer needs are met through better quality management
- A higher emphasis on leadership will motivate the whole organisation
- Greater staff engagement and motivation improved with efficient internal processes
- Money, time and resources saved with efficient working methods
- Reduced errors and increased profits through an improvement in operational performance
- A higher level of customer service resulting in an increase in high value customers
- Demonstration of compliance will widen business opportunities
- Emphasis on risk and opportunity management will contribute to continuing improvement
AS 9100 also delivers improved management skills and a better quality service, helping you to meet and exceed customer expectations. AS 9100 offers more efficient ways to work and can save both time and money, something every business would like to see – This will help increase company profits.
AS 9100 will also assist in the motivation of staff, attract bigger clients, AKA bigger business, and increase new business opportunities by demonstrating ISO compliance. If you are looking for larger government contracts, for example, the ISO Certification may be a necessity.
To implement the AS 9100, you need:
- Senior management commitment and support
- Good internal communication
- Customer and supplier feedback
- Shared responsibilities, roles and timescales
- Regular reviews of AS 9100 to ensure continual improvement
- Training and incentives to motivate personnel
- The sharing of knowledge
The Certification Process for AS 9100 will include
- Build and use management system
- Ensure processes are followed
- Document and analyse non-conformance
- Ensure customer satisfaction